It's holiday party season, and that means buffet tables loaded with our favorite indulgences and festive beverages filled with empty calories. There's no need to stress. We have five tips that can get you to the new year without tipping the scale.
1. Be smart before you party. When we go all day without eating or skip lunch prior to a party, this usually leads to unhealthy choices throughout the remainder of the day. Make time for a cup of soup, small salad with vegetables or a few whole grain pita slices with hummus.
2. Choose foods with power! Foods that contain a high content of protein, fiber and water (fish, lean meats, beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables) have the highest satiating power. Simple carbohydrates and high fat foods (cookies, cakes, breads, and cheeses) have a lesser effect on our sense of "fullness."
3. Give yourself 20. Practice good portion control by waiting 20 minutes in between visits to the buffet table. This gives our bodies time to recognize the satiating power of the food we just ingested.
4. Hydrate and deflate. Beer, wine, and sugar-laden drinks are high in calories and have zero nutritional value. For every alcoholic beverage, drink one glass of water. Staying hydrated will decrease the likelihood of headaches, fatigue, and feeling bloated the next day.
5. Enjoy the flavors. Socialize away from the buffet table. Mindless eating often occurs when we're engaged in conversion and food is close at hand. Always eat sitting down and enjoy your holiday meal.
Source: Huffington Post